The Maj's Past

Her Majesty’s Theatre has had a number of name changes over the last 100+ years.

Her Majesty’s Theatre opened as The New Tivoli in 1913. It seated 2170 patrons and was regarded as the finest theatre in Australia. For many years Her Majesty’s was part of the famous Tivoli circuit. The theatre has withstood two world wars, the Great Depression, redesigns, bankruptcy, and numerous ownership changes. Her Majesty’s has the distinction of reaching a centenary and continues to play a significant role in Australia’s theatre history.

1912 – 1919

Princess Theatre To The New Tivoli Theatre

Read More

1920 – 1929

The Prince Of Wales Theatre

Read More

1930 – 1939

Tivoli Theatre

Read More

1940 – 1949

Tivoli Theatre

Read More

1950 – 1959

Tivoli Theatre

Read More

1960 – 1969

Tivoli Theatre To Her Majesty’s Theatre

Read More

1970 – 1979

Her Majesty’s Theatre To The Opera Theatre

Read More

1980 – 1989

The Opera Theatre To Her Majesty’s Theatre

Read More

1990 – 1999

Her Majesty’s Theatre

Read More

2000 – 2018

Her Majesty’s Theatre

Read More