The iconic Her Majesty’s Theatre in Adelaide is adding another national award to its list of accolades, winning the Master Builder Association’s (MBA) National Commercial/Industrial Construction Award $50 million to $100 million at the weekend.
Awarded to Hansen Yuncken at the National MBA Award Ceremony in Cairns, the stunning redeveloped theatre was recognised for its intricate design and construction skills required to reinvigorate one of Australia’s most historic theatres, in the heart of Adelaide.
The redevelopment was built by national construction company Hansen Yuncken and designed by Adelaide-based COX Architecture, and managed by the South Australian Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure and Adelaide Festival Centre.
Originally opened in 1913, Adelaide’s oldest continually operating theatre was transformed into a larger and more accessible venue with state-of-the-art facilities - its $66 million redevelopment was unveiled in June 2020.
The project employed more than 150 construction workers at its peak and engaged a 90 per cent South Australian work force, including specialist artisan contractors and local craftspeople.
‘The Maj’ has showcased many big names across 108 years including Luciano Pavarotti, Dame Gracie Fields, Bill Haley and His Comets, Maggie Smith, Chris Isaak, Archie Roach, Alan Cumming and Paul Kelly and Her Majesty’s Theatre ambassadors including Adelaide’s own Robyn Archer AO, Greta Bradman, David Campbell OAM and Peter Goers OAM along with Kate Ceberano AM, Ali McGregor, Todd McKenney, Rhonda Burchmore OAM and Meow Meow.
This latest award adds to an impressive list of accolades for Her Majesty’s Theatre including:
Master Builders South Australia Building Excellence Awards 2021
- Interior /Finishes Commercial awarded to JRCM Commercial Joinery
- Commercial/Industrial Building $50M- $100M awarded to Hansen Yuncken
Australian Institute of Building Professional Excellence in Building Awards 2021
- Professional Excellence in Building $60 million plus – national award
- Commercial Construction $60 million plus – Hansen Yuncken (SA / NT)
- Professional Excellence – Hansen Yuncken’s Chris Cavenett, Her Majesty’s Theatre Project Manager (SA / NT)
Australian Institute of Architects SA 2021
- City of Adelaide Prize – COX Architecture
- David Saunders Award for heritage – COX Architecture
- Jack Mcconnell Award for Public Architecture – COX Architecture